Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Smart Living Tip #3

Smart Living Tip #3: Learning to make the foods you love in a healthier version, Part 1

One of my favorite foods is pizza. You would think I'm joking when I say I could eat it everyday, but it's true. I really could. One of my favorite date nights with Adrian is when we have our in-house movie and pizza night at his apartment, but I always feel yucky when I order pizza and it's dripping with grease. So I decided to start making it myself. Not only is it tastier than the stuff we used to order, but it's cheaper (which I love...I am a student, after all) and way healthier. We can add as many toppings as we like without having to worry about being charged outrageous prices for it.

Until this last week, I had been making the same two types of pizza, but I tried this new recipe and was TOTALLY blown away. Adrian was a little skeptical about eating a pizza without sauce on it, but it was so flavorful that it was hard to stop eating it. Adrian loved it so much that I made another one the next night to take to him and his friends while they were studying at the law school. (yes...I was the pizza delivery girl) This recipe harkens back to the last Smart Living Tip that talked about using just a few ingredients that have strong flavors to create delicious and fast-cooking dishes. I hope you like it!



Garden Fresh Pizza

INGREDIENTS
1 Whole Wheat Pizza Crust (I buy mine already made from Whole Foods, but you can buy frozen ones or make one yourself!)
Olive Oil to drizzle on the crust
2 medium plum (or on-the-vine) tomatoes, sliced
2 whole roasted red peppers, sliced thinly
1 chicken breast, (see recipe for chicken in previous recipe post on how to cook the chicken, just omit lemon)
1 medium onion, sliced and sauteed (using olive oil)
2 cups baby spinach leaves
1 package of shredded low-moisture, part skim mozzarella
fresh basil to sprinkle on top
garlic salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees (or whatever your crust calls for).
Cover your pizza pan with foil (for easy clean-up), and place pizza crust on top. Drizzle with olive oil and then start layering the foods (tomato, roasted red peppers, chicken, sauteed onions, spinach, cheese, then basil). Sprinkle with a little garlic salt and pepper. Bake as directed. (11 minutes if you're using the Whole Foods crust). Slice and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment