Saturday, October 23, 2010

new fave item!

So my mom is an awesome seamstress. When she was in her 20s, she made all her own clothes (and let's be real--she was FLY! I've seen lots of photos.) Also, when I was a little girl, she used to sew all my dance recital costumes and Halloween outfits and also made super cute everyday clothes. So, over the years, I have begun to realize the value of having a mom who can sew. Since I'm getting married soon and plan to have kids at some point in life, I thought it would be a good idea to add to my repertoire of Martha Stewart skills and re-teach myself how to sew. (I say "re-teach" because I took Home Ec in 7th grade and learned then, but let's face it...it's been 13 years since then.) I bought a sewing machine last fall and I haven't done much with it yet. I tried making a dress, but it was a disaster. So last week, I decided I wanted to try out a pillow, because I bought some fabric remnants at the fabric store a couple weeks ago and I absolutely love the prints (also, pillows are significantly easier to make than dresses).

Here's the result:


I am TOTALLY in love with it! So much so, in fact, that I kinda want to keep it for myself rather than putting it in my shop. But I won't. Anyhoo, hopefully there will be more pillows to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment