Tuesday, July 29, 2008

That long, really?

I had no idea when I signed back into this blog that it had truly been since last november that I opened it. I believe it's high time that I write again.

Life has changed more than I could ever imagine in these last few months. I graduated, moved onto being a "grown-up" and preparing for what could possibly be the grandest and most trying endeavor of my life thus far (that is, law school). I am so excited for what all God has taught me in these last months and could not possibly begin to explain it all. For that reason, I will just mention some of the things I have learned (for we all could use some pearls of wisdom from time to time, right?).

Lesson 1: Learn to listen.

In these last few months, I have had to opportunity to travel a lot with my work. What I've learned is that people have a lot to share. By learning to ask questions, be quiet, and truly listen, you can learn a lot about people. This, in turn, has given me amazing opportunities to teach people about God and it has also reminded me of how special it is that I get to know Him. It's amazing what happens when we learn to listen.

Lesson 2: Remember that there's a reason for why people are the way they are (Patience)

It becomes so easy sometimes to simply be aggrivated or upset when people don't act the way you want them to (slow people in the "expert traveler lane" in the airport, parents being really slow and assuming that "you need to rest more" is the solution to every problem...etc). If you remember that there are always things we don't know about people, things going on behind the scenes, it makes it a lot easier to have patience with them. The old adage rings clear: be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle. Okay, so they may not be fighting harder battles, but the truth is that we never know what is going on in people's lives. Instead of being bitter or making a snappy response, let's instead choose to just take it in stride.

Lesson 3: Choose Joy

This lesson plays a lot off of the previous one and is the best one I've learned so far. We have the option multiple times everyday to be upset/agitated or to choose to be joyous. Yes, it may take a little more effort to realize the choice, but it becomes easier the more times we consciously choose it. You'd be surprised how much it can influence your contentment with life when you choose joy. You'd also be surprised how much it can influence other people when you choose joy. I cannot tell you how many times in the last few months that people have told me "you seem so happy. I won't forget that." That's one of the best compliments I could receive. That's how it should be. We should reflect God's light every single day. What a gift to be able to do that.

So, for now, that is all I have. There have been MANY more lessons, but let's just take it a few at a time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment