Monday, March 19, 2012

{He Sees. He is Mighty}

There are days when I sit at my desk, in my big beautiful office that's my very own, in this big beautiful building in the middle of the big city and I wonder...what am I doing here?  Some days, I sit in my office, making very little contact with my co-workers, simply staring at documents, trying to make sense not only of what I'm reading, but also of what role this whole thing will play in God's plan.  I wonder if I'm actually affecting anyone's life.  I wonder why God chose to put me here, rather than half-way across the world, loving on some sweet, hungry (both physically and spiritually) babies in Africa or Russia or somewhere else, where my heart so often longs to be.

But here is what I know to be true:  God sees.  He is El Roi.  And God is mighty.  He is El Shaddai.

When my small eyes are unable to see God's greater plan and when my small mind is unable to comprehend how He could use me--an imperfect, simple, always-messing-up person--in this place, the Holy Spirit reminds me that God is in control and His hand is in everything.  I am reminded that it is an honor to serve Him, and not a right--He is mighty enough to not use me if He doesn't want to.  I am reminded that although my heart may long to be doing something that looks more like what I think I should be doing, my purpose here on Earth is only to glorify him, to serve him and to be present, wherever I am--wherever He has placed me.

You may be sitting there today wondering how it is that God could use you, wherever you are.  If that's you, I encourage you to remember who God is.  Remember that He is the God whose angel went to be by Hagar's side when she felt all alone and confused and lost and unable to understand what was happening to her {See Genesis 16}.  He sees you.  He knows you.  And He made you to be exactly who you are.  Because He made you, he knows exactly how your gifts will be best used.  Remember that He is the God who was mighty enough to know that his Son could overcome the great equalizer--death itself.  And that God is with you every single day.

I still don't have a clear answer to my question.  But with each day, I'm learning to just be present and be still.  He sees and He is mighty.  And that's all I need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment